While it is on a fairly major road, it was also close to amenities, major roads and public transport and schools - after all, they do say location, location, location!
We've reached a part of the journey that has always been intended, but come around so quickly. The development application (DA) I put on the property expires soon, which means I have to subdivide shortly. It seems like all the stars are lining up, as I had the property valued the other day and not only has it recovered from the flood, it's worth way more than I thought it would be.
I never really intended to become part of the community, but lately, well, not lately, just maybe I've noticed more, we've gotten to know more people locally and the really lovely things they do. So here are the things I'm grateful for in this community:
- The neighbour on one side that works from home and keeps an eye on the house when we're out and texts me with anything suspicious.
- Two lots of people locally who called me when Bella dug under the fence and wandered a few blocks away. One even kept her for a while until she could be collected.
- The neighbour who grabbed some timber and blocked the fence when he saw Bella trying to dig out for a third time.
- The guy across the road who mows my nature strip.
- The neighbours who offers me fruit from their fruit trees and cuttings from their plants.
- The old couple who walk their dog three or more times a day past my house and stop to say good morning and good afternoon.
- The lady who jogs past and stops to chat about the progress of the fence/house/garden.
- The old man on the motorised scooter who stops to give me renovating advice.
- The neighbour who brings my bins in.
- The mystery person who's left brand new gardening appliances in my garage and trimmed my hedges back when I had them.
- Yarns over the fence with neighbours and passers-by. Particularly when I'm out gardening. Our place is on a regular walking route and people are happy to stop and chat and tell you about how they've been watching the progress of the house and they like the paint colour or new fence.
- I'm grateful for the vegetarian place that is just about to open down the road.
- The sweet lady at the bakery who gives me freebies every time I buy something.
- My local newsagent who always has a smile and a wave when you go past.