Monday, July 15, 2013

DIY Wall Art


I love, love, love the White on White Dulux colour on the walls and ceiling, it makes the house so fresh and bright but...

It also makes the house very stark without wall art and decoration.

I LOVE fabric covered canvases but they were all so expensive, especially the Florence Broadhurst and Marimekko ones that I loved. They looked so easy to make, I couldn't understand why they were $300-$500.

So I thought I'd make my own.


I found this graphic print fabric at Spotlight on sale for $11 a metre. It was a thick, duck canvas and I loved the contrast of the black and red semi circles against the taupe. It reminded me of a Japanese cushion I fell in love with at Shibui Homewares in West End.


I found the canvases at a junk store in Inala while we were having an "authentic" Vietnamese lunch :-). It was 1m x 75cm and only $20. I'd seen the same size for almost twice the price at Toowong. It's crazy how prices differ in suburbs.


It was pretty easy to stretch the fabric over the canvas. I bought a super industrial size stapler from Bunning because I get the feeling I'll be doing this often. The whole exercise took about 15 minutes. Easy peasy.



The 3M hooks cost almost as much as the canvas but I used double the recommended amount...just to be sure. I hung them in the dining room, but not in the centre of the wall. The dining table is off centre so I hung the canvases on the opposite end to balance it out. Josh thinks it looks weird but I like it.


Ta-da! Mission complete! I'm pretty happy with them. The next space that needs to be decorated is the hallway downstairs. Watch this space! (Hahahaa...get it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment