I'm supposed to be doing a million other things today but I've found myself lost in a bit of backyard garden design haze of procrastination. Currently, this design is just a pipe dream. (Not to be confused with the design for underneath the house and the front of the house - this is in progress.)
Absolutely nothing is going to get done on this part of the yard until the subdivision is done because a massive bulldozer needs to come through and carve up half of it to lay a pipe, so it will remain as it is, a barren waste and current gauntlet for magpie attacks.
HOWEVER, when that is complete, then this is what I'm thinking of doing.
- Citrus orchard at the back with lemon, limes and maybe pomegranate trees. After subdivision the backyard will be 10 metres wide. If I can fit a fourth tree in I'll make it a mandarin.
- Firepit for those chilly winter nights. We had an awesome time toasting marshmallows and so did Josh when he had all his mates around for a campfire.
- Deck for those balmy summer evenings. I'm thinking some margaritas or just some cool lemonade in the sunshine. Might have to be before magpie nesting season though.
- Raised veggie garden beds for some herbs and tomatoes.
- Mulberry trees for some fruit and some shade and to break up the rectangularness of the garden. We had a mulberry tree in the backyard when I was a kid and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever!
- The rest will be mass planted with gardenias, murrayas, spider lilies, deities, azaleas and any other white flowered or fragrant plants I can get my hands on.
What say you? Yay or nay?