Thursday, April 5, 2012

Art Deco Inspiration

I'm in Napier, New Zealand at the moment - the Art Deco Capital of the World! I LOOOOOOVE Art Deco everything - furniture, fashion, architecture. I'm completely in my element.

Napier was almost completely flattened by a earthquake in 1931 that measured 7.8 on the Richter Scale and they rebuilt the town completely in 2 years in the modern style of the time, Art Deco.

Characterised by geometric patterns, sunburst symbols and angular patterns and shapes, everything in Napier has been beautifully preserved, in part because of the quality and craftsmanship of the time.



I'm drawing an incredible amount of inspiration from my surroundings, but unfortunately Art Deco won't suit the modern home I'm building. I am planning a retro style though and I think these Art Deco postcards would suit. I might get them framed and perhaps they would work in the study or downstairs lounge.

We went on an Art Deco tour today. The history was amazing and we learned about the stories behind the town and the architecture. Here are some more photos. Enjoy :-).







No comments:

Post a Comment