Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Demolition Stage 1


Today was one of the saddest days in the history of my little house project. And that includes the day it flooded and the clean up after.

Demolition is due to start shortly so we started pulling out any of the fittings and fixtures we could salvage like the casement windows and some of the floorboards.

I felt terrible.

I felt like I was raping and pillaging a home that had stood proudly for over 50 years and instead of trying to save its heritage and character I was destroying it because it was simply easier.


I thought that by taking out the windows and other fixtures they could be reused and somehow I was saving it. But really it just made me feel worse and while it looked empty when we started it looked positively destroyed and defeated by the time we finished.


It feels like a very sad ending. I have no idea how I'm going to feel when the actual demolition starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment