Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 29 - Slab is poured!


A lovely $50K progress claim invoice landed in my inbox today so I figured the slab must have been poured ;-P.

And indeedy it had been! The garage and portico slab are down! I hadn't actually been expecting there to be a slab for the portico, I thought there would just be stairs up to the small deck outside the front door. Now that I look at the plans though, there needs to be a slab for the column holding up portico cover. A rather important engineering fact.

So the house is really starting to take shape now and the plans are starting to make sense. Luckily the builders were on site today and I had a good chat with Daniel, the site foreman. This is their main project from here on in so I expect I'll be seeing a lot more of them on my regular visits.

In my last building progress post (Day 25), only the rear poles had gone up and it looked ridiculously high. I wasn't sure if the top of the poles went to the floor of the second level or the ceiling of the second level. Daniel said it just went to the floor so there is another 2.6 metres on top of that!! Crazy high. Crazy flood proof! He said it was the highest pole they had ever had manufactured.


From the side view too I'm actually a little surprised at how large the house is. All the way through I've been worried that the house was too small for today's average family, especially when I had to cut that chunk out of the lower level. Looking at this though I'm not worried at all, I'm just worried about how I'm going to clean it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment