Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Handover Process


This house is the first one I've built and so the first "practical completion inspection' I've done before handover. I didn't have a clue what I should be looking for so lucky I brought Jansen along :-).  Builders are so handy in this situation.

He was stuck in traffic so I started without him. I think it took me about 5 minutes and everything looked fine to me. I would have passed it.


Jansen, on the other hand, armed with a box of red dots, plastered them everywhere across the house. He picked up the teeniest paint nick on the ceiling to a window being too tight to shut. Happily, he didn't pick up any structural defects or anything major. In fact pretty much all the things he picked up related to paint and most of them, to be honest, I wouldn't have even noticed. Everything else is perfect.


The most major defect is a crack in the main upstairs bathroom tile, just next to waste hole. That's going to be a pain to rectify.

Overall, this house passed with flying colours. I work in the building industry and I've heard some horror stories. This was always at the back of my mind during the building process. I needn't have worried though, I always had a good gut feeling about my builders which luckily turned out to be right.

Flooring arrives tomorrow. Easter will be spent packing ;-P.

No comments:

Post a Comment