Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 83 - Pillars are rendered, external stairs are up


So much is happening so quickly...I just love coming to site and seeing the progress. They will shut down over Christmas for at least 3 weeks and after that progress will be much slower as tradies are on holidays and suppliers are closed. I think I will have a bit of a breakdown being so, so close to finished and moving back in and everything just coming to a screaming halt.

Oh well, let's deal with that when it happens.

In the meantime, I'll revel in the current progress. Firstly and most noticeably from the street is the pillars have been rendered and are ready for painting. Originally these front pillars were 470mm wide. Quite huge. They really were a dominating feature of the facade and I wasn't sure why. It was the builder that had suggested that they needn't be so wide so I asked the designer if they had to be that big. They didn't. So we reduced them to a more respectable 350mm and I think they look much more in proportion.

The pillars will be painted a light grey just to make it slightly different from the rest of the house.


The stairs and portico from the garage up to the garage door have been created. I'm not sure how they are going to finish them - I will have to clarify. I would like them stained.



The front door steps aren't yet completed. The timber they've used is spotted gum. I really love the colour and grain through the timber. There will be a timber handrail on the right of the portico, but at this stage there isn't one at the bottom of the stairs as the slab is less than 1 metre off the ground. The builder did say though that he thought it looked a bit dangerous and they were considering either putting another handrail or adding some fill to the ground to build it up a bit.

Don't you just love progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment